Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Weld repair to HD galvanized structure 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

KEO19342

Mechanical
Feb 4, 2002
US
I am searching for somebody that has a proven weld repair procedure to repair a weld on A36 structural steel that has been hot dip galvanized. My questions include how far back do I remove the zinc? Is there a recommended abrasive so as not to remove base metal also? Any immediate info would be appreciated!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

WELDING REPAIRS TO GALVANIZED STRUCTURAL STEEL

1. Mechanically clean the surface with a grinder.
2. With a neutral torch heat the surface to remove any zinc residual. (A small amount of zinc will be smeared on the surface during the grinding operation.)
3. Repair with 6012 electrode, using slightly higher amperage then one would normally use. (The rutile coating and high amperage of this electrode helps remove any residual zinc that would cause underbead cracking.)

Keo,
Before you can decide on the filler metal (E6012), more information is needed. If I am not mistaken on A36 material special requirements are placed on use of filler metal according to the thickness of base metal and also type of load. Table 4.1 in D1.1 (note 5) requires the use of low-hydrogen filler metals only on 1" thick material and dynamically loaded structures. Be careful in filler metal decision as to not go against any code or client specifications. Hope this helps a little more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back