Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

weld spatter prevention

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottmaha

Mechanical
May 6, 2002
US
i have an application on my welding robot where weld spatter has been a bit of a problem. we have two pieces that are welded together. we have a 12mm thick plate with a 40mm hole in it. this plate has four drilled and counterbored holes on 65mm bolt circle. we put a 40mm shaft inside the 40mm hole and make a circular weld. we apply anti-spatter to the part to help reduce the spatter problem. however, i still have the prblem of the spatter getting inot the counterbored holes. unless removed, the spatter prevents the M8 soket head cap screw from fitting into the counterbore. can someone recommend a material that i could use as a plug to put into the counterbored hole that can be easily removed after welding?

thanks for the help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not sure of your configuration but could you make a dummy plate with a large enough hole in the center to allow for welding to fit over the 40mm shaft. From the bottom of this plate have 2 or 4 6 or 7mm studs protruding about 20 mm to align with the counterbored holes. If removal of the plate by pulling off the end of the shaft is a problem, cut an entrance slot 42 mm wide and slide it off to one side. The bcd of the 8mm holes seems to be close to the shaft so this may not be an option.
Not an ideal solution but could you go with individual plugs for the holes, it would be a pia to have to remove them individually if the quantity was large....Mike

yes mike, i want t use plugs. as you mentioned, the b.c.d is to close to the 40mm hole. what material would be best to make the plugs with? brass, copper.........?

Another material that could be used is carbon or graphite.

Its not good for backing welds, but spatter won't stick and it can't be welded to your material.

G Austin

I'm a Mech. Engr. active in the field of robotic welding cells in Iran. Why don't you apply a "Synergic Machine"? If it's possible for you, by using such a welding system, melting voltage is exerted in some pulses, which cause to some melted drops being apart & continuously fall into melting field. Synchronized wire feeding & voltage pulses reduce fluctuations & spatters projectd. Also, to prevent disconnection of electrical arc, there exist a permanently basic voltage!

I'm not sure what process your using to make your welds. We have 3 robots that have mig welding guns mounted on them. When we have a problem with spatter we adjust the arc volts and wire feed to generate a spray arc that has virtually no splatter.
It has worked out pretty well for us, although we are welding A36 steel with mill scale on it. The weld has a hard time sticking to it, let alone splatter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back