Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Weld Symbol properties

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Since you haven't gotten a good answer, I'll chime in with my non-answer. I had this same problem at my company and we weren't able to get it fixed, but I can't remember if it was an internal fix that my company refused to implement or if it required a fix from Dassault (it might have been a bit of both actually). Either way, our bodge was to just use the 2D drawing tools to just manually draw the field weld flag on at the correct size. If you want to get fancy, I think you can anchor the drawn portion to the weld symbol so that the flag will move with the weld symbol if you drag it around. Hopefully someone comes along with a better answer.

Sorry - I was going down the list and the one I usually look at above this is Welding.

I suspect that this is a defect from Catia and needs to be fixed by them rather than being worked around as a font size issue. It looks like the flag and the flagpole are a single character and all the characters for the symbols should have identical height assigned.

I expect that few Catia users use that flag, so it has escaped notice and, as mentioned, just adding a 2D patch-over fixes it faster than Catia will ever respond. Google fails to find any mentions of this problem and I see no examples of using it in the Catia documentation or Catia weld symbol tutorials.

I dug into my sheet standard .xml. There is a section for the field weld symbol, however, it only allows you to default it on or off when you initiate the weld command.

Is it possible to add attributes in the XML to control its text height? If that's possible, it might give you what you want. Another thought is that maybe theres another file to control the weld command similar to view names in drafting.

I tried altering values for text height, type, scale and it reacts on a global scale for the entire weld note/symbol system.

Field_Weld_wsctvg.png

XML attributes are just text unless the program reading the XML has a function to make use of them.

The reason XML exists is so software developers can use a standard library to read configuration and data files rather than the old-fashioned method where everyone created their own file formats and matching editing and reading tools. With XML the library functions provide programmers a learn-once tool.

Ideally, the symbols would be described by XML files in some sort of geometry description system. For example, a program I use often is DIA, which uses XML as it's basic storage method.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back