Weld Symbols - ISO 2553

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Cliff

Industrial
Nov 11, 2017
GB
Hi,

I have received a set of drawings through for a frame I'm going to be making, but to be honest I don't fully understand the weld codes and symbols. Usually I'm welding up most of my own drawings and know from experience where and when I need to weld.... no problem. But in this case it's critical I follow the drawings provided to me. Given the shear scale and range of symbols and dimensions available I'm struggling to find out exactly what the codes I have mean.

I know the weld symbols are in accordance with ISO 2553, and weld dimensions in accordance with ISO 13920-AE.

Is anyone with more experience with this able to help me decipher the following or at least make sense of the numbers, tail, arrows, circles etc. I know the symbols for fillets, butts, symmetrical etc.

symbols_mpg2zf.png

Many thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A - not sure what the 4x means (perhaps 4 times but I'm guessing). The 50(380) mans 50mm of 3mm FW at 380 ctrs, note its not a hit/miss, its this weld at this centers. Some people incorrectly interpret it as 50mm of weld, then miss 380mm and then 50mm weld and repeat. I'd note this weld would not comply as seems too far apart to satisfy most standards I'm familiar with for intermittent welds. Not sure what the triangle means on the top? Seems to be around the wrong way to denote FW both sides, but may have another meaning. TYP means typical, i.e. applies to other similar locations.

B - 3mm FW all round (round symbol on arrow), again not sure on the 2x, and all round symbol seems inconsistent with 2 times if this is what it means. Otherwise its 50mm of weld at 70 ctrs (i.e. 10mm clear between each weld). Why not just fully weld it at that point

C - 3mm FW all round typical (FWAR)

D - Fillet weld (no size given, most likely sized based on typical notes?)

E - 3mm FWAR

Search the internet for AWS weld symbols to give you some help in interpreting. The first two are quite unusual and I'm not entirely sure what they are intending.

The posted link by ManoloGalarraga suggests the intermittent welding call-up is opposite to what I previously noted according to AWS. More a number of welds and the hit/miss approach rather than number of weld and the hit/centers approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back