Welded SST constuction versus Cast

Status
Not open for further replies.

drax

Mechanical
Mar 2, 2000
US
Guys,
We make a SST part by welding a SST tube to a pad, we continous weld the tube on both sides. The volume is not high enough to justify a cast tool at this point. The customer requests a one piece construction , I would like to know if the welded is just a strong as the cast? and any data to support this to go back and ask for a deviation?

thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Take a welded part to a SS founder, and ask for a quote on cast parts in the quantity you need. They'll probably come out cheaper than the welded part, even including whatever tooling is required.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

A cast part shall be stronger than a weld joint and also economical. If it is a commonly processed alloy in a foundry, they would not mind adding your part to the portfolio.

Please remember, any conversion to casting process and specially stainless steel, will always be welcomed by any foundry.

I'm just one step away from being rich, all I need now is money.
( read somewhere on the internet)

Depending on part size etc. it may be an appropriate part for investment casting. With the advent of 3D printing etc. it may be possible to make SLA patterns and eliminate tooling costs.

If both parts are made correctly they will have nearly identical properties.
The issue with the welded version is that the most likely place for defects is in the weld joint.
With the casting there could be defects, but they would not favor the joint area.

Take a look at the casting and see. After all you are tying up a lot of skilled labor making the welds, let them do something more productive.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Plymouth Tube

drax said:
...I would like to know if the welded is just a strong as the cast? and any data to support this to go back and ask for a deviation?..

Define "strong".

On one hand, a single piece cast component might be considered more reliable than a two piece welded assembly. But on the other hand, cast materials often have lower mechanical properties than wrought materials that might be used in the weldment.

Either the casting or weldment can likely be designed to meet your "strength" requirements. If you would be kind enough to provide specific details of your component, I'm sure the members of this forum would be quite happy to provide guidance on how to approach your situation.

Good luck to you.
Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back