Welder Qualification & Range for electrodes 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eck75

Structural
Aug 13, 2009
DK
Hi,

Please can anyone advise on following query I have regarding the range of electrodes a welder can use. For example if a welder has been qualified previously and certification is still valid for welding E7018 can he for example weld as per WPS with and E10018 electrode without having to re-qualify. Code AWS D1.1 20

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Weldtek, I do not have a current edition of D1.1 but my '98 edition states in Table 4.5 that an increase in filler metal strength classification is a PQR essential varible requiring WPS requalification.

qcrobert,
'if a welder has been qualified previously and certification is still valid for welding E7018'

I believe the OP is asking about welder certification not procedure qualification.

The range of electrodes for which the welder is qualified under the auspices of AWS D1.1 is based on the F-number.

The F-number for the SMAW process can be though of as a index indicating the "ease of use." A low F-number, i.e., F-1 requires relative low skill to use. However, as the F-number increases from 1 to 4, increased skill is required.

A welder that used a F-1 electrode when he qualified is only qualified to use F-1 electrodes for production welding.

A welder that used a F-2 electrode when he qualified is limited to F-1 and F-2 electrodes for production welding.

A welder that used a F-4 electrode when he qualified is qualified for F-4 and any F-number lower than 4 for production welding.

Things get a little more complicated when dealing with ASME Section IX, but that wasn't your question.

The bottom line is that the strength of the filler metal isn't an essential variable when considering welder qualification and the range of electrodes he is qualified to use. The F-number and position are essential variables. I slipped position in because the welder is limited by position even if the electrode isn't.

Best regards - Al

Yes I understand that weld strength is not an essential variable for WPQ and that it is the same F number, I was just uncertain if OP had a PQR for the higher strength electrode.

Parden me I tend to read things into something simple. At least that's what my wife tells me. :)

QCRobert

the intent of WQT is to prove that the welder can deposit a weld without defects. it is nothing to do with the strength if the F numbers were same for the above mentioned electrodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back