Not open for further replies.

NDTQAQC

Mechanical
Dec 9, 2009
US
dear ,
can you tell me please if have pipe line 20" ,when i test the welders is
1-no visual defects acceptable
2-is the radiogrphic film acceptance criteria accoring to api1104 or amse sex ix

3-can you help me to find more about the film interpretation of film for the api 1104 any taining cd ,books ,training films

regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have no idea what "amse sex ix" means.

API 1104 has a detailed section on acceptance criteria. Company standards regularly add to this (e.g., I've seen a couple of company standards that say that instead of the API language that a test needs to pass "either NDT or destructive test" that the test needs to pass "both NDT and destructive test". I've never seen anyone claim that the criteria could pass with just a visual without X-ray or some other NDT or without a break test.

Film interpretation is taught in several ASME courses, look at their training web site.

David

DEAR,
i mean that when the welder do the test in 6" pipe and i see for example
(ex-penetration about 2.5 mm in the root )
a- is it acceptable or not and according wich standard
b-the test of welders film interpretation according to asme sec ix or api 1104
c-can i find some training on film interpretation

regards

What does the contract require? Pipeline welders in the USA can be qualified to ASME IX or API 1104 depending on the Code invoked; i.e., B31.4, B31.8 or compressor station piping per 49 CFR Part 192 or additional Jurisdition requirements. Assuming that the welders are being qualified to ASME IX, the test welds must meet the visual requirements of ASME IX and the X-Ray requirements of ASME IX as a minimum.

Whereas the production welds will no doubt be subject to API 1104, be sure that the welder can meet those requirements as well. You may and should reject the test weld that exhibits IP as described.

Out of curiousity: How can you evaluate the acceptability of the welders when you're unsure of what is acceptable yourself?

Don't you have to be a certified welder to a higher level than the person you're certifying?

And as to your question about training material on API 1104 -- have you looked on API's website?

Patricia Lougheed

Please see FAQ731-376: Eng-Tips.com Forum Policies for tips on how to make the best use of the Eng-Tips Forums.

mr vpi,

iam amechanical engineer and i know what i do ,but they dont give us compelet details for qa.qc activities ,an about the training i have the sites but i think you dont understand i need free cd or pdf !!!
only if you have any good information please write it???

I am an ME as well, but I am not in the least way qualified to inspect a weld. It sounds like you are stuck in the field with a problem and no support. If I were in your shoes, I would report up the chain that you are being asked to do something that you are not properly certified to do.

There is no resource, free or otherwise, that will make you competent over night. Your company needs the services of a certified welding inspector. You need to study under a CWI as well.

I do not recommend faking it. Craftsmen will wise up to your lack of experience and/or knowledge and take advantage of it.

NDTQAQC

can you tell me please if have pipe line 20" ,when i test the welders is
1-no visual defects acceptable

No. Though if you have visual defects that should be a clue that the welding isn't acceptable.

2-is the radiogrphic film acceptance criteria accoring to api1104 or amse sec ix

No idea. You're really the only one that knows this, because you have access to the customer's purchase specification? What does the purchase specification say?

3-can you help me to find more about the film interpretation of film for the api 1104 any taining cd ,books ,training films
about the training i have the sites but i think you dont understand i need free cd or pdf !!!

May I suggest Google? I typed in the words "API 1104" and several sites came up offering free downloads.

only if you have any good information please write it???

I take it by "good information" you mean only information that lets you do what you want and not information that tells you it's a bad idea.

I am not in the least questioning your competance as a mechanical engineer. However, your questions appear to indicate that you do not have the required knowledge to verify the acceptablity of someone else's work in the QA/QC field. I believe that the ASME Code requires a Level III NDE inspector sign off on welder qualifications; and there are certain requirements to become a Level III inspector. (Though I don't know what API1104 requires and I don't know what your project requires).

Here's another piece of "good information" that you probably don't want: Using proper grammar and punctuation helps you be taken seriously. There are shift keys that let you make capital letters. They obviously work on your computer (though perhaps they stick) as you use them to put in excessive punctuation.

Patricia Lougheed

Please see FAQ731-376: Eng-Tips.com Forum Policies for tips on how to make the best use of the Eng-Tips Forums.

There is no requirement that a Level III in the RT method sign off on the RT report in ASME IX nor in the B31 Codes referenced previously.

QW-142 states, "Radiographic Examinations may be substituted for mechanical testing..."; Visual examination is still required per QW-144 and QW-194 (complete joint penetration, complete fusion required) when RT is used in lieu of mechanical tests. Obviously, the root must be accessible for visual examination and would not be required on production weld qualifications. Also refer to QW-302.4, "Pipe coupons shall be visually examined per QW-194 over the entire circumference, inside and out."

Finally, per QW-301.1, "The performance qualification tests are intended to determine the ability of welders and welding operators to make sound welds. As such, per QW-301.2, "The performance test may be terminated at any stage of the testing procedure, whenever it becomes apparent to the supervisor conducting the the tests that the welder or welding operator does not have the required skill to produce satisfactory results."

As per VPL. individuals who do not possess the skills and knowledge to determine the aforesaid should not perform such a task; unfortunately, they too often do.

dear ,

thanks mr stand weld that is what i need , as you said the root and cup in visual test in important and i check it its free from(ex-penetration & root under cut & root concavity & incomplete fusion and penetration and cup is good) so we make the x-ray for the joint and will see .
and levl 2 in enogh to interpretation for the rt films not need lvel3

and for vpi for the second time dont be uncomfortable
please only if you have any good information please write it???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back