welding 304L to 304L with 316L filler metal 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aloni

Mechanical
Sep 7, 2013
IL
Dear experts,

As far as I know when welding 304L to 304L the filler metal should be 308L.
My question is : can I weld 304L to 304L with filler metal 316-L ?
It’s a pressure vessel working in a full vacuum and + 0.7 barg at 250 ºc.
Material inside the vessel is not corrosive and suitable both 304L and 316L

regards
aloni

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have stated this literally hundreds of times over the years.
Can you weld it - yes. Is it acceptable - only your Customer / Client can answer that.
If your Customer/Client asks why you welded 304 with 316 filler metal how will you reply ?
An internet forum told me it was OK ???????????

Dear dekdee,
Thaks for your answer.
My client doesn’t care if the weld wil be made of 316l or 308l , it’s my responsibility as a designer.
I am asking it from a metalorgical welding point of view deu to the fact that it’s a pressure vessel working in elevated temperature.

Regards
Aloni

Yes, you can do it. But the bigger question is why would you do it?

There is no good answer for that question other than, “we had extra 316 to get rid of”

or

“production screwed up”.

The former answer makes no sense, because it is more expensive. The latter answer is reserved for about 99.99% of instances.

The devil is in the details; she also wears prada.

I love how people just say 308.
The last time that I looked there were 19 different 308 filler chemistries listed.
And there are a few 304 weld filler chemistries also.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Dear experts ,
Appreciate your answers.
Yes you all right ,we have a lot of 316l wire (gmaw 316lsi).
How can i Ensure that the weld meets the required mechanical strength and ductility criteria for the pressure vessel application.
Regards
Aloni

For posterity, you might want to qualify a WPS using a similar base metal and filler metal combination. I’m assuming you're constructing to ASME, so technically there is no requirement to do so. But, again, you should be prepared to explain to a potential customer why you are doing this combination. If I were you, I would also make and save extra coupons in the event that you get a customer who requires specialized tests based upon this unusual base metal/weld metal combination.

The devil is in the details; she also wears prada.

"How can i Ensure that the weld meets the required mechanical strength and ductility criteria"

Now that's a different question. The mechanical properties should be on the data sheet for the wire you have in stock.

Ooo eee ooo ah ah ting tang walla walla bing bang
Ooo eee ooo ah ah ting tang walla walla bing bang

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back