Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Welding 5052-H32 to 6063-T5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thane

Mechanical
Feb 7, 2000
US
Is it acceptable to weld 6063-T5 aluminum to 5052-H32? I know that typically the -T5 temper will be reduced to the O condition in the heat affected zone; however, I do not know much about welding different alloys of aluminum together. We are using a MIG welder. I do not currently know what types of gas, type of wire rod, or the other settings we use.

We have had some of our assemblies with 5052-H32 plate and 6063-T5 extrusions welded together break loose at the welds. The welds are approximately 2" long and spaced about 6" apart. It looks like we are not getting enough penetration on both materials and I want to make sure it is not due to welding two different alloys. (Make sure it is not a design issue before I go digging into someone else's back yard :)

Any suggestions and advise you can give is greatly appreciated.

Thane

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

thane;
For starters, you can successfully weld 5052 H32 (not heat treatable aluminum alloy) to 6063 T5. However, the heat from welding will locally soften the 5052 and the 6063. If this is not a highly stressed component or used under cyclic loading conditions, you should be ok. The following web site has various filler metals for welding aluminum alloys. I would probably go with a 5356 filler metal that is commonly used, and is less sensitive to cracking. The 4043 filler metal is also a possibility.

When you go to the web site, click on the 5356 filler metal spec sheet and various welding parameters will be listed.

As far as shielding gas, for aluminum, I would go with either welding grade Argon or an Argon-Helium blend. If you are depositing fillet welds, welding grade Argon should work. You might have to experiment with a blend of Helium to improve weld penetration, especially if you are depositing groove welds versus fillet welds.

If you can post some additional information like material thicknesses and weld details, it could help to optimize your welding.

My company welds 6061-T6 and 6063-T6 to 5052-H32 on a daily basis. It's is not high-stress component and loading is constant.
We use 4043 wire with straight Argon shield. No serious testing has ever been done, but it does hold up to the sledge hammer quite well. The weld splits in the bead and not on the material, so the bond is good.
Hope this helps...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back