Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

welding in 1958

Status
Not open for further replies.

penpe

Structural
Nov 27, 2012
US
In evaluating the load capacity of a nozzle on a propane tank it appears that the weld strength of the connection could be a primary consideration. I typically use 0.928k per inch of 1/16" fillet weld for 70ksi electrodes for new welds, (0.3 x nominal tensile strength of weld material x effective area). The actual weld size isn't called out anywhere on the vessel drawings so I'm conservatively assuming 1/8" because the thinner of two connected parts is about 1/4" thick. What would be the likely nominal tensile strength of electrodes used in 1958?

I'd like to be able to report to the client that the 4" diameter nozzle is attached securely enough to the vessel shell (0.85" thick A212-B steel) to support a 5000 pound load. Without adequate info assuming a 4" standard weight pipe (4.5 O.D.) circumference is 14". 14 inches of 1/8" fillet weld with E70 electrodes good for 26,000 pounds, so 5000# seems not a problem, but need to be more specific.

I can't find much about weld strength in 1958.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'd actually measure the weld size and type on the nozzle... I'm not sure what welding material was common back then, but in the late 60s, E60 series electrodes were common. Also weld strength is a function of the base material, too. Do you know what the existing steel is?

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Thanks for that info, dik. The tank shell is A212-B 0.85" thick which I'm finding is 38 ksi yield strength, 70 ksi tensile strength (according to a couple of sources). The nozzle is called out as 4" diameter, material A181-1, 300# thickness. I've not yet researched what that means. My initial (hopefully conservative) assumption would be that it's standard weight steel pipe wall thickness 0.237". Please enlighten me if you know more about these materials, and how they might affect the weld strength! I attached a photo. You'll notice that there's also a reinforcement ring, which is called out as A212-B: 0.85" x 7 1/2". Thanks again.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=2be18028-88b7-42f2-be34-7fa0fcc8a3d3&file=crop.jpg
I'm not familiar with the type of steel... but will see if I can get some info.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Thanks... I'm not familiar with these materials... they are not normally structural steels.

-----*****-----

-Dik

thanks...

-----*****-----

-Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back