Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Welding Nut to Anchor Rod? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lascaris

Structural
Oct 21, 2011
CA
Hi,

I have a situation where a contractor has cut off part of an anchor rod so that there is not enough thread length to attach the nut on top of the baseplate. The rod in question is F1554 GR. 36 steel.

I'm aware that sometimes people will weld nuts to the bolt/rod, has anyone here done a repair like this before or does anyone know if there is any actual standard anywhere that sets out guidelines for this kind of thing?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The usual discussion is whether to accept situations where there are 0|1|2|3 full threads projecting from the installed nut.

If you can't even get the nut engaged, the contractor has a big problem.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Maybe try Elcone nuts: Link

image_msg4pm.jpg

It is not recommended because the anchor rod and nut are different grades of steel and are made using different treatment processes. The result is that the anchor rod and nut will each cool at different rates which leads to high localized stresses and increases the chance of thermal cracking. Have had success with Elcone nuts as suggested above.

MotorCity said:
The result is that the anchor rod and nut will each cool at different rates which leads to high localized stresses
I thought all carbon steel pretty much had the same heat capacity. I think anything you weld will cool at different rates simply due to the geometry.

What loads are being applied to the rod? Is there an uplift concern?

If the loads are not extreme, or if there are other rod anchors that can resist the applied loads, I've specified to weld the rod, all around, directly to the base plate.

Or drill another hole(s) through the baseplate and specify post-installed anchors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back