Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

welding plastic pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

welder123

Nuclear
May 20, 2002
US
Anyone have any experience with welding plastic pipe for a chemical application. Not sure of any specifications for the particular application. I am attending a training program soon and was looking some pointers and tips from the pros. Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hey Welder123,without any previous experience in welding plastics,obviously a training program is an excellent place to start.Thermoplastic materials and Thermosetting materials will be discussed.The latter being less forgiving.The welding process is comperable to GTAW in that hand eye coordination in conjunction with filler material addition is critical.But the process is much simpler.Joint make up is also comperable. A welding gun is used,employing the use of electricity and compressed air or an inert gas.A number of tips are avalable for tacking,root passes,hot passes and caps,depending on joint make up and manufactors specs.Your training program should give you what you need to have welding like a pro in 30 hours or less.Good luck and watch the color. gascupwalker1

WELDER 123 > Are you referring to PE Pipe Fusion employing a heating element. If so i have some literature on the subject.

Polyethylene (PE) platic pipe fusion for gas pipeline employs a heating element...and its is not a manual welding process. The pipe ends are heated, the heating element removed and the ends are brought together with sufficient force.

WELDER 123 > Is this what you are referring to ? If so i have some literature on the subject.

Email me for the info - mcprofusion@hotmail.com..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back