Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Welding pressure bound surfaces

Status
Not open for further replies.

abell88

Mechanical
Aug 3, 2004
CA
Can anyone tell me if there is an actual standard that states thats welding of pressure bound surfaces on Water meters and other pump bodies is NOT permitted and if at all possible can you reference the standard that that states this.
I am in a huge fight right now with some of the production people at my facility. They had poured 200 castings with an 80% defect rate (Gas porosity & Blows) and in their greater wisdom thought they could weld repair the castings, in an attempt to pass them off as good and sneak them past the customer. I have serious moral issues with this

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

And this:

Most common alloy castings require welding either in upgrading from defective conditions or in joining to other system parts. It is mainly for reasons of casting repair that these descriptions of the more common weld defects are provided here. The terms appear as indication types in ASTM E390. For additional information, see the Nondestructive Testing Handbook, Volume 3, Section 9 on the "Radiographic Control of Welds."

Like you I would have a moral problem if my production team tried to "sneak" this past my customer.
However, if your manufacturing process has a correct proceedure for the weld repair of castings, if you have contacted the customer and outlined the problem, made them fully aware and have their acceptance of the weld repair, or are prepared to develop a suitable proceedure with their input, I wouldn't have any problem in reclaiming these castings, as it is not unusual to undertake weld repair to castings. I would be prepared to say that all major foundries have a proceedure that is in accordance with all the appropriate standards of welding, heat treatment, inspection and testing for weld repairing of castings.

International College
Naresuan University
Phitsanulok
Thailand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back