Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

welding procedure qualification 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

klln

Mechanical
Jan 19, 2003
QA

Hello frends,
Please help me on the below subject

Reference to ASME SECTION IX-QW-420-1 P Numbers

To reduce the number of procedure qualifications required base metals have been assinged P Numbers,

P-No.1 Through P-No.11 Including PNo.5A,5B and 5C

My interpretation is A welder qualified on P1 is qualified on P1 to P11 and P5A,P5b and P5C
Please correct me if I am wrong

Thanks,
pojo

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

They are allowed to weld P1-P11 plus unclassified steels of simiar composition. This basically allows one qualification to cover all steel based material.

One important thing to remember is that all other variables must also remain within range. An example would be P-8 (304) using SMAW. You would NOT be qualified for that if you tested on P1 to P1 using E7018 since the F for 3xx.xx SMaw electrodes is F-5 and there is an exception given to this type of electrode.

However if the process were GTAW using F-6 Filler metal you would be qualified for ERxxSX and ER3xx both of witch are F-6.

An exception to above would exist if the welder qualification test were done on Stainless with an open root and purge gas was used. That welder would NOT be qualified to weld a root pass on Carbon Steel unless it was purged.

Hopefully I didn't confuse things:)

Have a nice day

Gerald Austin
Iuka, Mississippi

pipewelder1999,
SMAW
What happened to using 309 electrodes to weld P1-P1 material and 6010/7018 to weld P1-P1 material thus be qualified for all materials, P1-P11?

This is our standard welder qualification and has been for years. In fact we initially used 310 in lieu of 309 SS electrodes prior to advent of decent 309 electrodes, which did cause a few welders problems, but the great majority would pass if they keep the heat input low.

On the lines that Unclesyd and pipewelder replied, the welder would be qualified to do P5A/B/C if he welds on P1 using E7018 type consumables as per ASME Section IX. But strictly speaking P5A/B?C have additional requirements of preheat/postheat/wrap in asbestos, so as a good WE practice, even if welders were qualified on plaon CS, for using them on LAHT steels, I would always train the welders and carry out in house trials before using them on these different materials. ALso though Section IX groups P1 thru' P11, P34 and P42, I know for a fact that the weldability of all these materials is not exactly on the same scales. Look at Unclesyd's reply and it is obvious that change in consumables had some effect on the weldability(see the 309 e.g.) and thus the test of the performance of the welders skills. Finally wanted to give a star each to Unclesyd and Gerald, but someone beat me to it.

Thanks and regards
Sayee Prasad R
Ph: 0097143968906
Mob: 00971507682668
email: sayee_prasad@yahoo.com
If it moves, train it...if it doesn't move, calibrate it...if it isn't written down, it never happened!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back