Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Welding Process Specification 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weldnom

Mechanical
May 27, 2021
AE
Hi Guys,
I have a lot of confusion in the Welding Process Specification-WPS preparation and test coupon preparation for material CS 48" API 5L X42 PSL 1
So Kindly tell me about
1. How to prepare the Welding process qualification(WPS) for API 1104?
2. What are the important things I have to take care of while reading the API 1104 or ASME Section IX?
The information which would be shared by you people in here will help us to improve my career and knowledge.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

First, the correct terminology is Welding Procedure Specification

Second, there is too much detail involved for your question. What you need to do is read and study 1104 and Section IX and come here with specific questions that you have from your studies.

Third, if you have the opportunity to be mentored by a qualified welding engineer or experienced welding professional, that is your best path to improving your career and knowledge. Not some internet forum.

The devil is in the details; she also wears prada.

Retain a Welding Engineer!

Notice what I did there? I capitalized Welding Engineer, because Welding Engineer is a proper engineering specialization that requires years of study and practice.

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

Thank you IM.
The WPS and related documents are very detailed and belong in the hands of a professional.
If you are really interested then hire someone to do this one and start taking training courses. In a few years you may be able to handle a basic one on your own.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Because it is apparent that the OP is lacking any experience in welding and apparently has not read any Code welding requirements, he needs to hire a welding engineer to guide him and take training courses available through AWS and other sources.

ASME offers on-line seminars on the subject of welding technology and it scratches the surface of qualifying WPSs and welders. It might be worth your while. Go on-line and Google ASME PD359 Practical Welding Technology. It might be just what you need to get your feet wet.

Best regards - Al

Hello,

I am new to this field myself. But in my opinion first you need to identify the welding process that you are going to use. Then take the PQR of that process for the given material, because the WPS has to be backed by a PQR. If you dont have that then first you need to worry about PQR.

Then in ASME Sec 9 there are tables in Chapter 2. For your selected welding process find the relevant table, e.g for GTAW table QW-256. Then read the explanation of every line in the chapter 4, and yu must adress all essential AND non essential variables. If there is a certain non essential variable that you dont apply, you can write "non-implemented" for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back