Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

welding rebar for RC

Status
Not open for further replies.

robyengIT

Mechanical
Dec 20, 2013
IT
Is there any ref standards, welding procedure, electrodes to be used, post welding heat treatment, etc for welding steel bar to be used in reinforced concrete structures ?
Thanks for any suggestion

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In Canada, reinforcing steel can be spec'd as weldable, else, it's a matter of doing metallurgical testing to determine if the bar is weldable. There are likely AWS or ASTM standards for this.

Dik

Similar to what dik says, in the US there's ASTM A706 rebar which is specifically used for welding situations.

We typically don't allow, or rely on, welding of "standard" bars (ASTM A615 in the US).

Check out Eng-Tips Forum's Policies here:
faq731-376

A615 is weldable, however the chemical composition of the bar needs to be known prior to welding. A PQR with proper pre-heat requirements listed can then be created. Some jurisdictions limit the max Ce a A615 bar can have for welding.

I understand that welding A615 is not preferable, but sometimes necessary. Like reinforcing an existing wall. I've never had to do it, but like sandman and bridgebuster, I thought it just took some special care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back