Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Welding Reference? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

m9dave

Chemical
Nov 9, 2009
US
Hello,

I am a chemical engineer who obtained a job out of college in the utility industry. I work at a power plant with 6 large heat-recovery steam generators (HRSG, aka boilers on the back end of combustion turbines). I am a maintenance planner here.

Frequently I need to create work packages and obtain materials for jobs which require welding, whether it is routine maintenance/construction or if we have a boiler tube failure and need to replace it.

I'm getting tired of not understanding the jargon the workers themselves or the people who have been at this for 30 years throw around procedures and materials they're going to use for P91, P22, 8018 B2 rod, 7018, 6010 rod, etc.

Is there a reference or set of references I can get that can describe the various metals and rods used to join those metals? As an example tonight I am supervising a job and they need 6010 welding rod. How could I have known that ahead of time? In this case Google is actually very deficient for me thus far, it seems like technical trades didn't really make it to the internet.

Thank you

M9D

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Recommendations and references above are good. I would add that the code under which you working (assuming ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code) has some good information as well. In fact, it has requirements for such.

For basics, the electrode (rod) designation provides a lot of information. The "6010" reference you made, for instance. The first two numbers (60) refer to the tensile strength in ksi of the electrode material. The next number (1) tells you the position this electrode is best suited for. In this case, the "1" indicates all positions (flat, horizontal, vertical and overhead). If that number were a "2", the electrode would be better suited for flat or horizontal positions only. The last number has to do with properties of the flux coating and what that can impart to the weld metal, including its alloying properties, its depth of penetration, its protection of the weld metal during cooling, its tenacity as a slag, etc. An electrode manufacturer will have the properties of each in their literature and they are generally the same from each manufacturer.

If you are assembling job packages for boiler tube weld repairs, I would strongly suggest you investigate one of the National Board of Boiler and Pressure Vessel Inspector courses on weld repairs of boilers and pressure vessels. This course is only 3 days in length and upon completion you will be able to understand what is involved with welding and the jargon used.

If you were one of our Customers, I could provide you a copy of our Welding Training and Visual Inspection Training program, which addresses what you seek.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back