Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Welding Repair of Explosion Bonded Cladding 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibrali

Mechanical
May 22, 2022
CA
Any one has advise/experience on performing a localized welding repair on an pitted explosion bonded cladding of a pressure vessel?

The base metal is carbon steel, the cladding is SS410.

The main focus is how does the welding affect the cladding bonding especially at the adjacent areas?
As for welding, can we just fill up or do we need to grind all the way to expose the base metal then fill it up?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ouch, wrong material or operations mistake?
First you must grind out the pits so that you have sound clean material.
Second you need qualified weld procedures.
Third you will likely need to overlay in two or three passes in order to have the proper chemistry on the surface (because of base metal weld dilution).
How thick is the clad?
How thick is the base metal?
How much area do you need to repair?

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

It is 15mm CS and 2.5mm SS. Few patches, one of them is 5cm by 10cm. Two questions:
- should I be concerned for the disbonding of the existing cladding from the base metal? Would the heat from welding cause that?
- Would it be possible to weld SS410 directly on CS or do we need a transition layer in between? I will need to see if there is already a qualified WPS or I would need to get a new one.

Have made this type of repair with ER309 in the past but metallurgy was compatible for the service. Made sure to determine any disbonded cladding was removed prior to weld repair and as Ed stated all pitted area removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back