Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Welding set cable length

Status
Not open for further replies.

mog69

Mining
Mar 12, 2006
GB
Does anyone know the relationship between total length of power and earth cable to / from a welding set and the diameter of the consumable which can used?
I have a job for which it may not be possible to get the welding set close to the job, and I'm concerned that too big a consumable and too long a cable run will cause overheating of the cables (especially since the job is in Africa with ambient around 45 c).
Thanks
Mog69

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A major issue that you will encounter is the voltage drop in very long cables.

You can overcome some of the problem by using larger cables and use the following equation to determine the availible voltage under load.

E = 20 plus 0.04 times A; where A is the rated amperge of the welder.

The maximun voltage under no load is 82 volts (NEMA), but small air cooled welders may not have the ability to provide adequate arc voltage if the leads are very long.

The following website has a voltage drop calculator. The voltage drop is going to be independent of the initial voltage (using the equation I listed above as initial voltage). website:
Between the equation I listed, an the website, you should be able to determine the size of the welding lead and welding machine you need.

Best regards - Al

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back