Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Welding simulation 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mohamed Zied

Structural
Jul 15, 2020
JP
Hi,

I am modeling an existing built-up steel girder bridge (Shell element). The flanges have different thicknesses. The as-built drawings show that the connection is made by welding which stretches for a variable length (4 to 10 cm).
When modeling, I didn't consider this detail. now, results show a stress concentration in the connection between plates (as shown in the attached picture) which distorts results.
How can I fix this? how can I model welding in this case?

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=9ece28e4-4c80-4689-85a6-61152378440b&file=Max_T_stress.png
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

So you just want to include the weld's geometry, not simulate the welding process (which is also possible). Welds are rarely included in analyses (unless their fatigue is considered). There are several approaches to weld modeling and stress evaluation. Check the article "Modeling Welds for Finite Element Analysis (FEA)" on the Apollo Engineering blog for a comprehensive comparison of various approaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back