Welding spacing 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

KAR FUNG

Structural
Oct 11, 2016
MY
Dear All,

I need to add steel plate at the existing truss member to strengthening the truss in order to cater additional load.
The new steel plate will be welded to the existing rectangular hollow section (RSH). The existing truss member is 2.5m in length.
60mm welding length only is required to comply with the design.
May I know, any clause in BS 5950 or other standards has mentioned the minimum spacing in-between both weldings instead of welding the whole length of the steel member?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't know about British standards, but in Canada, from my Project Notes which I modify for each project:

-EOR TO CONFIRM INTERMITTENT WELD SPACING. FOR INTERMITTENT WELDS, LENGTH SHALL NOT BE LESS THAN THE GREATER OF 4 TIMES THE WELD SIZE OR 40MM (1-1/2”). MAX CLEAR SPACING BETWEEN WELDS SHALL NOT EXCEED 24 TIMES THE THINNER OF THE TWO SECTIONS JOINED (AWS D1.1 2004 2.11.2-1).
-FOR INTERMITTENT WELDS, LENGTH SHALL NOT BE LESS THAN THE GREATER OF 4 TIMES THE WELD SIZE OR 40MM (1-1/2”). 25% MIN OF THE JOINT SHALL BE WELDED. MAX CLEAR SPACING BETWEEN WELDS SHALL NOT EXCEED 12 TIMES THE THINNER OF THE TWO SECTIONS JOINED OR 150 MM (6”) (CSA W59 12.4.14 (F)).
-FOR INTERMITTENT WELDS, LENGTH SHALL NOT BE LESS THAN THE GREATER OF 4 TIMES THE WELD SIZE OR 40MM (1-1/2”). FOR COMPRESSION MEMBERS, THE MAX CLEAR SPACING BETWEEN WELDS SHALL NOT EXCEED 12”. FOR TENSION MEMBERS, THE MAX CLEAR SPACING BETWEEN WELDS SHALL NOT EXCEED 18” (CSA W59 11.4.13.2).

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

For intermittent welding, seal weld remainder to prevent corrosion. The seal weld is not an effective structural component to my understanding.

also, not recommended for fatigue issues...

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back