Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Welding Titanium and Stainless

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobUXL

Materials
Mar 27, 2003
US
I have an application where a titanium part for a dental instrument needs more mass and need to weld this part to a piece of stainless. We tried welding Ti-6-4 to 304L with absolutly no success via laser welding. Is there a procedure that can make this successful and/or is there a better titanium and or stainless alloy that can be used to yield a successful weld?

Thanks,
Bob

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Bob,

How about friction welding the parts together?

Best regards,

Matthew Ian Loew
"I don't grow up. In me is the small child of my early days" -- M.C. Escher

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

From my understanding of Titanium alloys, a dissimilar weld between Ti and an Fe base alloy, like stainless steel, is not feasible because Ti and Fe will form brittle intermetallic compounds (TiFe) that results in cracks along the weld fusion zone during solidification of the weld.

Other joining methods should be considered; perhaps brazing diffusion bonding, explosive welding(no base metal melting) or as mentioned above friction welding.

Intermediary metals like Vanadium and Silver must be used if you join titanium to s.s. by welding. You may wish to braze join using an appropriate silver braze alloy. Mechanical joints (threaded or slip/shrink fit)can also be used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back