Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Welding to Cast parts on a Backhoe

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnplctech

Industrial
Sep 29, 2002
US
I need to weld up some parts of a backhoe that are cast steel parts. Do I need to do anything special to the part before I weld on it. Some areas I need to build up and some I need to weld parts to them where they broke off.

Thanks
John

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is a little test you can do to check the weld ability of the material.
Take a 1"x2"x1/4" C/S tab and fillet weld it an area you intend to repair and filet weld one side with the welding rod you plan to use. After it cools try to knock it off from the welded side. If breaks out the base metal you will have change welding procedures.

I would use any good repair/service rod, we used AllState 275 (actually 312 S/S) otherwise use a new box of 7018 rods. For build up use the 7018.
Make sure you welding ground as close as possible the area of the welding to avoid going through a bearing.

You didn't say, are any of these welds going to carry high loads?
What is your location?

The boom lock is broken off and I want to repair it. I am in southeast MO. I intend to mig weld the repair. What do you mean by C/S tab? is that Cold Roll?

I assume the preheat will outgas any oil in the weld area. Thats a good idea.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes the tab is just mild steel of any sort, cold or hot rolled. We always used 1/4 x 1" steel flat bar.

A word of caution if there is a possibility of oil contamination I would not use MIG I would use stick to weld the part.

If you encounter any problems please post them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back