Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Welding to Old Rebar 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

seminole22

Structural
Sep 23, 2004
US
I have a retrofit project that requieres removal and replacement of existing corroded rebar with substantial section loss. I anticipate welding new bars to old once sound material in the existing is encountered. However, I am concerned with the weldablity of A305 billet steel rebar from the early 1960's. Is anyone aware weldablity issues to steel of this type from this time period.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm not sure I'd weld rebar to old rebar that exists in a corrsion environment. Despite removing old, loose concrete, there is still the potential for oxidation via electrical currents to occur, especially if the concrete is chloride impregnated. Many times patches are performed and at the juncture of the old concrete to the patch a huge increase in oxidation kicks in - this would be right smack dab at your welds.

Usually, we extend the new bar alongside the old, spliced along good quality lengths of the old bar. Or a mechanical splice would possibly be appropriate....but welding - I wouldn't do it.

Add new bars to replace the existing ones with the appropriate lap (you may find drilling and adhesive anchoring helpful in some locations providing you can lap the existing rebar sufficiently), or use bar couplers, see the following for typical barcouplers -

It would be highly unusual to weld rebar together during a retrofit or repair project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back