Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Weldments and Assemblys

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadnutcase

Mechanical
Apr 27, 2005
US
I built a master template of a skid we use quite often into the weldment enviroment. Then in the assembly enviroment I added all the other parts that go along with it.

I would like to BOM the entire assemby in one BOM. I want all the cut list items to show up in the BOM fuction of the assembly drawing. Is there a way to do this without cleaving any links. I basically want one big BOM of everything. The reason for this is the weldment feature only allows one material and have 6 or 7. Also we have several small assemblies that we have dumped together. I didn't like my VAR's answer to this problem that is why I am here to ask the pros.

Thanks, and I hope I made myself clear.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have you tried checking the option in the BOM labeled "Indented Assemblies" or "Parts Only" one of these should display the BOM you are looking for.

Best Regards,
Jon

Challenges are what makes life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful.

Solidworks 2005 SP3.1

It won't display the cut list items in this though. I am guessing instead of using the weldment that I will have to build everying thing in the assembly enviroment.

I gave up on using weldments for that vary reason. I make each material it’s own part (i.e. 3” x 3” x 3/16” angle iron) then make all the sizes I need. Put them all together in assy and sub assys. This allows me to add more info to each part (material, material type, material size, and material description under custom property and the size its cut to and shop #'s I put under configuration specific. That allows me to assign shop #’s to each part(well configuration) and isolate cut list for shop people. The drawback is I can’t get the equations to work right they keep changing all the configurations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back