Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Welds in assemblies/subassemblies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Korichnevijgigant

Aerospace
Oct 7, 2009
US
I have only recently started using Solidworks and have not had any training (working on that)

I have a welded frame assembly that is made up of multiple parts and subassemblies that are weldments and or have welded parts.

So in the parts the welds show up when I click the show welds buttom, BUT the button in the assemblies is greyed out and the weld symbol annotations are not showing either.

Ideas?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You should really do all this in a part, because Weldments in Solidworks are done with Multi-bodies and there you can use the weld feature. Its much easier and you will get a weldment cut list that will give you all the information you need about each part (body) just a like a BOM would but in great detail.

You should so the all the tutorials before you start using the software. That should be the first thing you do, before getting official training, because technically that is a pre-requisite. Also check out youtube for more information -

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
CAD Systems Manager
Evapar

"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

It is a huge frame that is first bolted then field welded, that is the reason I did an assembly with parts welded in the assembly.

Part of the problem is I inherited most of the design and assembly so I just ran with what was there.

I did all the tutorials and usually search on the web when I run into a wall.

side note: I had been using ProE for probably 13 years and I still hit CTRL+D after using solidworks for 3 months at my new job LOL

Welds can be inserted as assembly features, I do this all the time to join sub-weldments into a bigger weldment.

The system isn't set up to show component welds in assemblies- because in theory if you have nested weldments, your individual parts should have their own drawings which show weld callouts and locations.

Then your top-level weldment has its own welds and callouts.

The short version is that every weld you want to show in the same drawing should be in the same level of the assembly.

If you're trying to show component (sub-weldment) welds in a drawing for the full weldment, you need to delete those welds from the component and re-create them at the assembly level.

Thanks jgKRI,

the components that are goign into the larger weldment have both bolting/welding and then those are welded into the larger part.

I finally was able to get them to show up via Model View > Select Model > Import Annotations

NOW what I am really getting frustrated with Solidworks is that I cannot seem to find a way to edit the attachment of the annotations or be able to move annotations to another view...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back