Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Welds

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArmadilloTwister

Mechanical
Apr 18, 2008
CA
I am want to apply a weld bead between a length of 1/2" pipe that comes up through a hole cut into a 1/4" Plate. The hole is 1/16" greater in size then the outside diameter of the 1/2" pipe and the pipe sits 3/16" down from the top of the plate. This should leave me with a 3/16" weld bead but I can't get it to fill the gap.

Any suggestions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I did over look that. The pipe wall thickness in only .147. But is still tried that and the fillet weld says that faces do not interact (which they don't 1/16" room between them) so it won't build a weld bead.

Is there any way to get around this?

Unfortunately I cannot attach the files, however I did figure that problem out. I had to do with the fill direction on the Groove weld feature. But does anyone know of a way that you could do a plug weld? Inventor seems to be a bit behind times with the different type of welds that it offers. No seam weld, plug welds, or basically any type of weld that you don't want to be protruding from the part. Hopefully I am missing something and there is a way to do these types of welds.

Inventor make weld as geometry ... so a geometry should be well defined to be created.. in case of real welds many time a gap is just filled during welding.. and in drawing it is not shown.. or u can say that gap is not there theoretically .. so for now you have to bear the agony of limitations in welding module.. untill autodesk team make this software more intelligent

"But does anyone know of a way that you could do a plug weld?"

Try using the full face groove weld feature for plugging slots and multi-face hole features. For round holes, you may have to split the face to get 2 faces to use the groove weld feature. It's hokey, but it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back