Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Wellbore Heating to Prevent Paraffin Formation

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjackson

Chemical
Aug 13, 2005
CA
I am currently working on a project where I need to determine the wellbore heat input required to prevent paraffin formation in production tubing.

In this particular case the production tubing runs to a depth of approximately 3000m and there is a larger heat medium casing surrounding the production tubing that runs to a depth of ~1000m. Therefore it is intended to circulate a hot brine solution in the inner annulus between the heat medium casing and the production tubing in order to heat the produced oil and prevent paraffins from forming. In this closed loop circuit, the brine would then flow back to the surface through the outer annulus between the heat medium casing and the outermost casing.

I work as a process engineer and am seldom invloved in areas of production. I am not sure if this type of system for wellbore heating is commonly used but I have had very little success trying to find related information on the internet. I would be very grateful if somenone could comment if this type of system is commonly used and any possible literature references for calculation methods.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think its unusual. There is typically much more heat in the well bore than needed for that. Usually if you get any problems, they are encountered in the piping between the well and the production facilities.

"Pumping accounts for 20% of the world’s energy used by electric motors and 25-50% of the total electrical energy usage in certain industrial facilities."-DOE statistic (Note: Make that 99% for pipeline companies)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back