Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wellhead compressor - marine grade engine accessories?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JADeak

Electrical
Apr 27, 2009
US
We have a number of wellhead compressors with automotive derivative engines (Compressco and Sertco). Regulatory compliance now drives the need for these packagers to use appropriate hazardous area classified end devices, panels, wiring, and engine accessories. Everything is reasonably priced for most items; however Class 1 Div. 2 engine accessories (starter, alternator, ignition system, emission package) are extremely expensive for these small engines.

Research shows that marine grade equipment (rated to SAE J1171, UL 1500, or USCG) is equivalent to explosion-proof by UL 698 (Class 1, Div. 1) standard.

Has anyone considered using marine grade equipment on engines in Div. 2 areas? Any thoughts on acceptability to NEC and local codes?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have seen marine exhaust manifolds used in gas compression on automotive-based small/big blocks but I don't know the approval details. Here it has to be CSA-approved.

As for the ignition...yep, it's expensive stuff compared to the automotive system you can get at Pep Boy's or Autozone but it's rated and runs harder/longer than a car would.

Consider a gas or air starter instead of electric.
Older packages were pneumatically controlled and used magneto ignitions so an alternator and battery weren't required.

altronic has a kit for an anltronic I magneto to go on automotive engines, comes with a pickup wheel to mount to the crankshaft and the magneto and coil, then you utilize a sealed distributor for a marine application and sealed leads and plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back