Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wellhead Compressor Vendors

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmmanuelTop

Chemical
Sep 28, 2006
RS
Hello there,

I'd like to hear if forum members can recommend wellhead compressor vendors in Europe - companies with good background and references. I am particularly interested in gas engine driven reciprocating machines.

And I have one safety question: can someone advise on the subject of requirement for Fire & Gas Detection System at the wellsite, considering the fact that compressors (as potential ignition source) are installed in the area?

Also, if wellhead compressors are installed somewhere in an intermediate gathering system (e.g. 10 wells entering small separation station), can someone advise what study/analysis should be performed in order to confirm if F&G system is required or not? What is your experience with this issue?

Thanks in advance,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

tell us how gas engines are an ignition source? the spark ignition system can be class 1 div 2

the size of your unit might suggest the better vendor. exterran can do most sizes. CSI is also good, but I don't know their international capabilities.

dcasto,
I've had that discussion with several of my clients, and their answer is often "well it just is", or "exhaust manifold temp is higher than the autoignition temp of methane" (which is occasionally true).

The API 500 exemption for GenSets is interesting. I talked to one of the guys on that committee and his argument was that the engine on the GenSet was an ignition source so it was appropriate for GenSets to be unclassified. I asked him why specifically GenSets and not engine driven pumps and compressors. His answer was "do they run pumps and compressors with engines?".

It may not be universally true that engines constitute an ignition source, but there is a strong belief that they do.

David

ABB (Poland) and PEB (Netherlands) are experienced compressors packagers in Europe. Enerflex and Exterran are always good bets. Knowing the size of the compressor you are interested in always helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back