Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

wet and dry efficiency of recuperative air to air heat exchanger 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CmAnD

Mechanical
Jan 28, 2008
MK
I would be very grateful if somebody can explain me something about heat exchager efficiency. How to calculate dry efficiency (efficiency without condensation) and wet efficiency (efficiency with condensation) of recuperative air to air heat exchanger?

Thank you in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Both are calculated the same way. Its the energy picked-up by the heated fluid divided by the maximum heat available in the hot fluid (including the heat from condensation). If you actually have condensation, the heat transfered, and consequently the efficiency, increases.

In air to air exchangers, condensation is rarely an issue unless the hot air also picked-up humidity along the way.

As I had pointed out to me a while back, the term is "effectiveness", not "efficiency". Excuse me if you think I'm being a pedant here, but you will be much more successful in your researching if you use "effectiveness" in your searches.

- Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back