Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Wet Gas Dryer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lan85

Mechanical
May 6, 2013
AU
Hi, I am looking into a project where an existing pipeline/gas field will tie-in to a gas delivery station. However the gas is wet and I need to select a dryer. I haven't done much with driers before.
Flow rate on this pipeline is not much (normal operation is only 100,000 standard cubic feet/2830 Sm[sup]3[/sup] per day).
Also the pressure is not much either (normally 180 psi/1400 kPag.

I did some research on the net but most of the available units are for large flow rates.

Does anyone know of any proprietary gas driers that I can look into? Or any guidance?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Depends in how"wet" your gas is and how "dry" it needs to get, but I think you need something like this.
From what i can figure, the small unit does 120,000 at 200 psig. You usually need a pair to blow the other one dry on a regular basis.

Others are available. You also need a vent or a flare as the unit dries itself by running dry gas thought it which is then flared.

My motto: Learn something new every day

Also: There's usually a good reason why everyone does it that way

The units that dcasto and littleinch are talking about are in a class called "deliquescent dryers". They can get you a 20°F dew point reduction. Because of the shape of the water vs. pressure/temperature chart for natural gas, they are just not practical below about 250 psig.

I do an exercise in my class where you are using one for 250 MSCF/d at 50 psig and 100°F. In this example the dryer is able to get the water content from 743 lbm/MMSCF down to 398 lbm/MMSCF, but you have to us 30 lbm/day of salt. Where I've seen this tried for applications like the OP, the field guys get really sick of schleping bags of salt pretty quickly.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

Law is the common force organized to act as an obstacle of injustice Frédéric Bastiat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back