Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wet sprinkler piping in attic areas 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

FFP1

Mechanical
Jan 22, 2007
US
I have a customer who has a dry system protecting the attic area and wet system protecting the occupied areas (relatively new nursing home). The wet sprinkler piping is located in the attic spaces and the attic does not benefit from heat. We have had very mild winters in our region the past few years.

I realize NFPA 13 simply states the piping should be protected to ensure a minimum 40 degrees; however, I distinctly remember a drawing or figure (I think it was in NFPA 13??) which indicated or suggested the situation outlined above is considered acceptable/tolerable as long as the attic insulation covers the water filled sprinkler piping. This is typically true and I usually move on (especially since I live in Middle Georgia), but the building I recently inspected has blown insulation and essentially none of the water filled sprinkler piping is covered by the insulation. As a matter of fact, most of the sprinkler piping is 1-3 in. above the top of the insulation. I am not very comfortable with this situation.

I have searched the 2007, 2002 and 1999 versions of NFPA 13 and NFPA 25. I thought the drawing was part of the NFPA 13 Appendix, but I just cannot find it. Can anyone tell me where this drawing or figure is located or did I just dream this one up a few years back?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Good memory, The illustrations you're looking for are in the 1996 handbook, NFPA 13D, figures A-4.3.1 (a thru e,) pages 637-641.
I understand that they are showing CPVC in a 13D system, but thats were its at.

Hope this helps.
Glen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back