Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wet stator motor vs. canned motor pumps

Status
Not open for further replies.

pumpcan

Mechanical
Aug 25, 2003
US
I’m in the process of evaluating a wet stator (motor ) pump vs. a conventional canned pump for an application where the pressure is approx. 1200 psig and the temp is 130 °F. The motor power is approx. 100 hp. The pumped fluid is radioactive and somewhat dirty but there will be clean purge water introduced between the pump and the motor at a pressure slightly higher than inlet, thus keeping the motor section fairly clean.

Does anyone have any experience with wet stator motors? I was told that even though the insulation systems for wet stator motors have been well developed, and not subject to environmental degradation, there is still a need to perform periodic maintenance to clean the windings. Any other known advantages/disadvantages of the wet stator vs. the canned motor would be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would be very hesitant to use either of these types of pumps for flows containing any particulates. Purge flow or not, you may as well plan on plugged passages, abrasive wear in tight clearances, etc. I would expect lots of troubles and a short operating life. Suitably applied, both of these types of pumps can solve many difficult pumping problems, but I don't consider dirty fluids to be included within their capabilities.

A pump with suitable mechanical seals would make much more sense. The clean water that you would have used for a purge can probably be better used as a barrier fluid within the mechanical seal system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back