Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WF2 Templates etc in WF4

Status
Not open for further replies.

closer9

Mechanical
Jun 5, 2003
About 2 years ago the company I was working for (using WF2) folded. I kept most of my generic (nuts, bolts, tubing, etc) drawings and all my templates, and such. Well, I recently was granted a seat of WF4 at my new job. I'm just curious if there's anything that isn't compatable. I've never used WF4. I'm VERY excited about having it.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I had to change some of my plotter configuration files (no idea why, some of them had been working since R18, maybe earlier) but I don't think I had to change anything in our templates. You might have some problems with mapkeys.

WF4 user interface is very similar to Vista but it works a lot better. It's nice to select the Triangles and get direct access to subfolders. The icons for the interface have changed but have many of the same functions. They even included a button to access the Desktop without having to browse to or save it as a location.

There is still no access to Cut, Paste or Delete actions like many other programs allow. You can be sure that someone who's told you control a file doesn't delete it and resave with permissions. If you like moving files from the File Open dialog you must slect a the Parent Folder with Right click to paste the file.

If you like the Sketcher Constraints dialog use it while it lasts because they removed the 9 icon popup in WF5. WF5 has added Right Click constraints that can be selected after preselecting entities which is nice but a little late in its addition.

Michael

Thanks for the info.

It's been a while, and it didn't take me long to get back into the swing of using, but remember where and how to get into all the setup options is going to take some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back