Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What aluminum alloys are used in making steering knuckles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theStruggler

Mechanical
Jun 9, 2014
US
Hi,

I would like to know what aluminum alloys are used in making steering knuckles? So far most of the studies I have found use Aluminum 2011 T3.

I would also like to know properties in general should the aluminum alloys have for such an application? From another thread I started, I know that the post elongation failure should be 15% or 18%. What other factors should I consider?

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks for your reply. Forgive me for not having mentioned this: I wish to know about machinable (not cast) aluminum alloys that can be used for steering knuckles.

Traditional 6061 or 6082 are widely available and have superior properties to the cast alloys on the market. They also have superior corrosion resistance to 2011. There are other 6XXX alloys (and 2XXX and 7XXX) with higher strength, but much less available and with potential problems with corrosion resistance and machinability and ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back