Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

What am I? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Materials
Oct 5, 2004
CA
I am not 100% sure this is the right forum, but I'm sure it will do.

I went to school as a materials engineer, but my job now is almost entirely mechanical. People often ask what kind of engineer I am, and I have been saying materials, but really all work I do is along the lines of a mechanical engineer. In the future, when I apply to other jobs I'm wondering if I should say I am a materials engineer, or mechanical.

So, what type of engineer am I?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We once had an electrical engineer who's degree was in Psychology. Another Pshych graduate I knew also became a structural engineer(he went back to school and got an MS in structural). They always referred to themselves as an engineer in their field of practice, not what their specific degrees were in.

Hmmm...maybe those Psych graduates got confused and felt there was a huge demand for counselling among engineers...no doubt they were right!

Your degree is irrelevant to your current job title, except as an amusing example of life changes.

Likewise, I haven't had a job description that matched my major in over 20 yrs. So, likewise, the current job description is what's important.

Moreover, your resume, if written clearly, will show what your progression is, and should also show what your major was in college.

TTFN

The two best "Software Engineers" I ever met - One had a degree in Oceanogrpahic engineering. The other had a degree in Chemistry.

The primary designer of the Altair computer - the "First" more-or-less mass-market personal computer - went back to school and is now a - - - - - Medical Doctor.

As IR Stuff said - Your degree is irrelevant to your current job title, except as an amusing example of life changes.

Note that if you apply for engineering licensing, it becomes more important what your degree was in.

Fields of engineering often overlap, and it's quite likely you could count your experience toward a license in either branch. But you may have difficulty getting licensed in a branch of engineering with a degree in a different branch.

Another consideration is that work experience often tends to be very narrow. I don't know the specifics of your case, but there may be big gaps in your education as far as claiming "ME" go.

IRstuff ... Interesting ... so a person with a totally unrelated engineering degree can claim to be a "<insert discipline here> engineer" just because "that's what they do", but another person without an engineering degree, but also in a "that's what they do" position, can't.

Ok ... flame time ... and the clock is ticking. [lol]

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites FAQ559-520
How to get answers to your SW questions FAQ559-1091

The base curriculum for engineering degrees is very similar, so related disciplines often overlap in practice. This is particularly true at the Bachelor's degree level. The EI exam recognizes this and is, thus, non-discipline specific for the most part.

Once in practice, your experience and competence decides what you are called. Will you ever cross over to other disciplines in practice? Of course....but don't forget that you must practice in your area of competence...not outside of it, without regard to your degree.

Materials Engineers are somewhat like Civil Engineers....there is a lot to draw from and specialization can take many forms. Some states do not offer examinations in Materials Engineering, so fairly often those with "Materials Engineering" degrees actually take some other exam.

My specialty is Forensics as related to structures and construction/construction materials. That's a rather broad specialty! In my practice I use certain aspects of many engineering subjects such as metallurgy, materials science, structural analysis, construction materials, geotechnical engineer and testing, and probably even some psychology....yes, we should all have our heads examined for even being in this profession!!

To me, our profession alternately demands and affords broad knowledge, all of which has some relevance to our practice, whether technical or non-technical. The key is still in recognizing your own limitations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back