Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

What are good arguments to convince my supervisor to use JIRA for project management

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azzazil

Automotive
Feb 1, 2020
HR
Just started to work on new project and recently I got my manager who come from other company. Yesterday I had meeting with him where he wants to track all issues and tasks through Excel sheets. This make me nervous since I was working already on project where we at the beginning had this kind of work to track tasks and issues, and it was huge mess with plenty of people making changes on documents without noticing anybody that issue/task is updated. At the end we introduce JIRA and it literally saved us since sharing of info on issues was way more transparent and you could track and check issues without going to distant file locations and do status update. I propose to my supervisor this idea to use JIRA and he is refusing it, with arguments that you can in Excel check what was changed and who changed what. Also you can write comments to ping your peers when they need to be noticed about issue or change.

Anyway I am not expert with JIRA and don't have some deep knowledge about it that I can present to him why we would benefit from JIRA, so I am asking you guys if you have good arguments that I can place against my supervisor and try to convince him to change his mind?

Regards,
Azzazil

CATIA v5 Assmebly Manager App:

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I already find answer to my question so here is just in case if it will help somebody in future.

Some arguments you can use to try to convince your manager to use JIRA for tracking issues and tasks:

Transparency: JIRA allows for a more transparent and centralized approach to issue tracking, as all issues and tasks are stored in one location and can be easily viewed and updated by anyone on the team. This makes it easier to stay informed about what's happening with different issues and tasks, and to quickly identify any potential roadblocks or delays.

Collaboration: JIRA provides tools for collaboration and communication, such as the ability to assign tasks to specific team members, add comments and attachments, and receive notifications when issues are updated. This makes it easier for team members to work together and stay informed about the progress of different tasks and issues.

Traceability: JIRA allows for easy tracking of changes and updates, as well as the ability to see who made those changes and when. This makes it easier to identify any problems or issues and to resolve them quickly.

Customization: JIRA allows for customization of workflows, fields, and issue types, which means you can tailor the system to fit the specific needs of your team and project.

Reporting: JIRA provides advanced reporting capabilities, which allows for better visibility into the status of different tasks, issues, and projects. This can help you identify potential problems and bottlenecks, and make better decisions about how to allocate resources.

Integration: JIRA can integrate with other tools, such as Confluence, GitHub, Trello, and more, which can help to streamline your workflow and make it easier to share information and collaborate with others.

It's worth noting that JIRA is a widely adopted tool used by many large companies, it's well-established and has a lot of features, workflows, and integrations that can really make a difference in the project management. It can be a good idea to schedule a demonstration of JIRA, or to set up a trial account for your manager to try it out for himself.

Regards,
Azzazil

CATIA v5 Assmebly Manager App:

I've used it once, since it was used on a program we had, but
> not that easy to use, out of the box
> people can still ignore assignments from JIRA
> you can lead a horse to water, but...

Bottom line is that EVERYONE needs to buy in and management needs to double down and MAKE everyone use it

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

what is Jira?

sounds like an RFI system is needed - request for information.

use a Sharepoint site where users input requests and directs the RFI to the appropriate discipline/individual. The project engineer and manager get access to monitor progress. once the response is made, the RFI is directed back to the originator for resolution or further comment. Once data is input and sent, no changes can be made to originators or respondent responses.

Yeah, excel is ok, but recommend the project engineer be held responsible for upkeep, etc. That way the PE birddogs people into getting resolutions.

I spent a year using JIRA exclusively at a former employer then off/on for select customers since. Its a good tool, just like Project. JMO but anything is an improvement over excel for the automation and simplified GUI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back