What are my options other than PIM for producing 1000 custom plastic boxes? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaycbas

Mechanical
Jun 5, 2019
US
Hi All,

I'm new to the community and field, so any advice would be appreciated.

I'm creating a product that requires plastic boxes of custom size and custom divider layout, each with a secure locking lid. Similar to Plano containers. I need about 1000 units to begin with.

Here is an example drawing of the box:
]

What are my options for producing these boxes that don't require dropping thousands of dollars on a Plastic Injection Mold?

I've built a fully functioning prototype from materials at TAP Plastics, but it would be too expensive and time consuming to do this 1000 times. I also don't think 3D printing will produce the product quality I need.

Are there manufacturers that could laser cut the plastic in bulk and assemble the boxes? What other options do I have?

Any advice would be really appreciated. Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

See if you can thermoform it, possibly as two parts or three. Rotomolding might be another option. Both typically use cheaper tooling, but the per part cost is a bit higher (more labor in setup, molding and demolding, possibly more assembly time).

How big is the box, roughly. You might see what the cost of a molded part would be using a prototyping injection molding service like protolabs or similar.

With a small number like 1000, easy to machine materials can be substituted for molds often reducing mold making efforts a lot i.e. expense.

Since you've already gone to the effort of designing something that works why not take it to an assembly shop and discuss it with them. It could be that having everything mass-laser cut and assembly line assembled could be a much cheaper and lower risk proposition than everything else. I could see that happening in a few weeks unlike having a mold designed and made.

Keith Cress
kcress -

I second thermoforming that BTB mentioned. Another option that has cheaper tooling than thermoplastic injection molding is reaction injection molding. Tooling cost will be on the order of 1/2 that of thermoplastic injection molding.

Structural foam may be a good choice for your parts to keep the unit cost down though not everyone is a fan of how structural foam looks if it isn't painted. If your wall thickness is less than about 0.25 inches you don't really get the advantages of the lightweight foam core though.

Thanks guys, this is very helpful.

Based on @itsmoked's suggestion, I contacted an assembly shop and showed them my prototype. They said it's something they can definitely do with CNC machining followed by assembly. I have yet to get a quote, but the assembly shop route (whether it's laser cutting or CNC) seems like it will be the cheapest and fastest approach.

I hadn't considered thermoforming at all. I'll do some research on that as well and see how that option compares.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back