Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What are some new directions for a 27yr old civil engineer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottm8

Civil/Environmental
Jun 7, 2011
Hello!

I've been working for 5 years solid in the geotech/environmental field (landfills, mine waste, tailings ponds, contaminated sites etc), and kind of lost interest in things that "stand still", like piles of dirt and concrete. I find myself fascinated by antennas, electromagnetism, and algorithm design (been teaching myself C, CUDA and basic signals processing). With just a BSCE and no family I am basically free to take a sharp turn in a new direction. Does anyone have any advice on how I can incorporate more technology into my career, preferably in a way that leverages my civil education and experience at least a little bit?

I'm considering geophysics (combines electrical and soils engineering), however that industry seems to be centered around Texas oil fields and I have zero interest in moving to a hot climate! Maybe materials science or electrical engineering? Would I just be wasting my newly earned Civil PE? I think my dream job would be R&D for a manufacturer. I love finding the most efficient way of doing things. My favorite thing about my current job is creating giant automated excel sheets that streamline design calculations.

Thanks for the advice!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You should seriously consider transmission tower engineering. It's a combination of Civil (ROW, wetlands, roads, vertical clearance, surveying, etc.), Structural (tower, cables), and Electrical (loads due to electrical conditions). This is in high demand now and pays relatively well, at least here in the Northeast US.

A buddy of mine works for an outfit that does geotechnical remote sensing and automated sampling systems, which requires some civil background and some programming background. Shoot me an email if you're interested, and I'll put you in touch with him.

Hydrology, Drainage Analysis, Flood Studies, and Complex Stormwater Litigation for Atlanta and the South East -

i would like to see you go into infrastructure rehab, sewer mains, water mains etc. This field has few new people coming in and us Old Far_s are dying off. Look at consulting firms that deal in this. They are all over the US.

Richard A. Cornelius, P.E.

Sounds like several people are saying utilities. And because some utilities (smaller ones) combine several operations into one company/group it would allow you to move to different things without changing employers.

Also nice because there isen't much travel.

Our substation Civil engineer in our group has described that at one time runing an ROV through sewer lines (Which seems interesting and gross at the same time).

Sewers smell like a paycheck to me. Been working in and on pipes for 47 years now. Lots of new processes and methods for rehab now. Not just dig and replace. But digging is neat if its over 15 20 feet deep. Biggest 'Tonka' stuff there is. Except for open pit mining. Those guys have the biggest stuff.

Richard A. Cornelius, P.E.

Open pit guys might have the biggest stuff, but us underground guys have way more fun.. My 8-10 yard front end loaders are only 8-10 feet wide, but to see them running flat out with less than three feet clearances from solid rock walls is impressive. And then theres explosives!!! Thats the original most fun you can have with your clothes on cliche

If all else fails, consider joining the mining industry. It seems you already have some experience in dealing with mine sites and you could use that to your advantage in the transition process. Minerals and processing industry involves lots of dynamics while incorporating the "stand still" experience you have had. Either that or move into academia and go into research and create animated and interactive graphs using MathCad about trends based on the situations you have encountered in your career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back