Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What are the differences between the setup in these two models? [COMSOL]

Status
Not open for further replies.

tugni925

Mechanical
Sep 14, 2020
NO
Both models use Cell Periodicity node to model a unit cell representing a large repetitive structure. However, the left model in addition to cell periodicity does a linear buckling analysis (red rectangle).

- Why does the left model do a seperate "Study 1", which contains "Step 1: Stationary" - is this necessary to the lead up for Study 2 in some way?

- I need to add a linear buckling analysis on my model to the right (Black rectangle). Can I simply add a study in the black rectangle after "Cell Periodicity Study" similar to Study 2 in the left?

3_n9dxux.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Linear buckling step in COMSOL is always followed by stationary step.

Try suppressing or deleting this Study 2 and see if the analysis still works. Sometimes these additional studies are created by mistake and they are completly unnecessary. But it’s also possible that this study is needed at some point. So start from checking its settings (which physics node it uses and so on).

You can add linear buckling study but it has to consist of two steps, as I mentioned in the first paragraph of my reply.

Thank you for the reply FEA way, it seems study 1 is not necessary. Do you think it would be feasible to combine Cell Periodicity Study and Study 2 into one? Just so I would not have to run them separately.

It depends whether these are separate analyses or parts of the same simulation. These studies might use different models (same Component but with modified setup). Also keep in mind that with multiple steps in the same study, results from the previous step are taken as initial conditions for the next step.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back