Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What Can I Do With An Allen Bradley HMI? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mtronics

Electrical
Feb 17, 2012
IE
Hi everyone, im just wondering what exactly you can do with an allen bradley hmi? I mean does it have to have a plc connected for inputs,or can the hmi cumpute inputs and conduct calculations? i want to measure a device (repeatedly) for error detection, i need a hmi type interface to allow user levels, different size class etc. could this be done purely on the hmi or would i have to use a plc for connecting the inputs and thus doing the logic? any help would be great here.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

An Allen Bradley HMI has no discrete or analog inputs. These HMIs cannot do any calculations. The only math they can do is to compare values for alarm detection. And they are horribly expensive. I use Allen Bradley all the time, and their cost is out of whack.

There are other HMIs which are combo units, PLC+HMI in one unit. You could buy a Pro-Face or an Automation Direct PLC to do what you want. You might also look into Maple Systems.

EE

would pro face and automation direct be fairly easy to use? im new to hmi's. price is not an issue,i would have 4 analogue inputs,possibly 2 analogue outputs for centring of unit.given price is not an issue,would you recommend allen bradley? its an american company and they usually insist on allen bradley. thanks for your help

A-B makes a lot of different products with varying levels of capability. I think that before you jump to any comclusions, you have to establish EXACTLY what you have. Some things that people CALL an HMI are actually PCs.

"Dear future generations: Please accept our apologies. We were rolling drunk on petroleum."
— Kilgore Trout (via Kurt Vonnegut)

For the best use of Eng-Tips, please click here -> faq731-376

Often times I use Allen Bradley because the client already has Allen Bradley products. If that's the case, you probably want to get a micrologix 1100 with a panel view touch screen. On the ll00, there are 2 on board analog inputs with a resolution of about 10mV/step, based on 0-10v input. If you buy a panelview component series, you can program it with internet explorer. It's a pretty easy deal.

I would recommend the PROFACE because you only need one software. You program the HMI and the PLC at the same time.

Red Lion Controls are another vendor of good HMIs, their software is free and easy to use
But as far as I know they don't make I/O you would need to source a good inexpensive PLC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back