Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What cheap second hand machine do I buy? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

billetcnc

Mechanical
Jan 26, 2010
GB
So What do I do?
I've got the opportunity to set up on my own after 15 years in the game. I've been offered some workshop space, but the door into the workshop is ridiculously small. 1.85m!! (its an old forge). However if I removed the shutter doors (about a days work) I can gain an extra 20cm....
I've got a limited budget and I need to buy ideally the fastest machine, second hand, I can get my hands on. Before I realised quite how low the door was, I was trying to find an old Fanuc robodrill / Miyano TSV as one would be perfect for my needs, however I'm not sure if one would fit through the door. Any one know what the overall height of one of these would be?
I'm now thinking I could go along the route of an XYZ prototrac as I know I could just swing the head down and it'd go straight through the doors with no effort. They're ok, good for small tapping too which i'm going to need, but very much hands on. You know when you've done a days production work on one!
I wondered about an Interact or one of those old green Hurco's as at least they've got a cnc Z axis. Although they are crap for tapping small holes at least I can do 3d and thread milling.
However the only way I could think of getting one of these into the workshop is if I could unbolt the head, and the control box in the case of the Interact, but I don't know for sure if this could be done. Any one got experience of this?
So there's my dilemma.
Any opinions or information greatly appreciated!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you are going to have trouble getting a machine in are you going to be able to get material and finished goods out? you will problably want to look at your building in light of your business plan to see if it all works

A.R. "Andy" Nelson
Engineering Consultant
anelson@arnengineering.com

billetcnc said:
I would if they would verify me as a user. Can't even reply to threads.

billetcnc: I assume you are referring to the following post:

Try practicalmachinist.com (PM)

Was there any indication of why you cannot be verified as a user? I am going to register myself because I should be active there as well. Maybe I will learn somehing to help you.

You likely will be making relatively small parts so no problem of material in/parts out. You do not need a rigger for such a relativley small machine and low budget. I have moved a 15 ton radial drill with my teenage son. Piece of cake. I am on the other end of the problem because I have a machine shop but not the work.

Hopefully the PM will give you some clues on other machines that will fit through the opening or hints on disassembly as required.

Are you allowed any remodeling? If so you could add two columns either side and a sturdy header after cutting more head clearance.

You gave head clearance. What is the width of the opening?
Before you post on PM, give both metric and inch dimensions which I should have done as OP on this very forum only minutes ago. I will correct that right now.

billetcnc,

After registering at Practical Machinist.com, the following notice came up:

You will receive an email in your inbox. You MUST follow the link in that email before you can post on these forums. Until you do that, you will be told that you do not have permission to post.

I received the above mentioned email, clicked on the link and the following message came up:

Thank you for registering, metman. Your account has been submitted for moderation by an administrator and will be activated shortly. You will be notified by email when this happens. To return to the forums, click here.
I did not return to the forums because I prefer to wait for the notification that my account has been activated to allow me to post.

billetcnc, During the registration process did you read the rules and indicate it by punching the appropriate box?

I might be speaking too soon since I have not yet been activated at PM.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back