Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

what classes/subjects should an engineering student focus on 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

werd54

Mechanical
May 16, 2012
US
I am a senior in mechanical engineering. I currently work for a mid sized company looking to tap into the manufacturing market. What skills should a young engineer focus on to start up a manufacturing business? We are particularly interested in robotics (for welding and plasma cutting) and CNC sheet metal bending.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In my experience, you should focus on business classes if you want to be helpful in creating a start-up. School is great for building your foundational knowledge, but the most important classroom will be in the field participating with professionals and getting hands on time. Business class will prepare you for the marketing and planning aspect of moving into a new industry, where working with the team of veterans at your place of employment will provide more than any class will.

My father, who was a Mech. Eng. and designed machines his whole life, told me something I can verify as true now that I've been out of school over 30 years myself: You won't use 25% of what you learn in school. The problem is you can't know WHICH 25% it will be. So - learn it all and never stop learning.

I didn't realise this until after I graduated, but the most helpful course I took at university was industrial design. It taught me how to look at things from a non-engineers perspective and has been invaluable.

Designer of machine tools - user of modified screws

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back