Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What determines the maximum fill rate for hydrostatically testing large concrete tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

HughRob

Mechanical
Aug 19, 2008
AU
Hi,
In Australia AS3735 states that the maximum fill rate for a hydro test is 2m per 24 hours, it is vague whether it has to be a uniform rate taking 24 hours (i.e. 2m/24 = 0.083m per hour) or could be achieved in a lesser period, let's say maybe 2m in 10 hours.

I appreciate that there should be a uniform rate that allows stresses and therefore strain to modify to minimize peak values, but it is unclear as to how the magical number of 2m per 24 hours has been defined and whether this is a maximum height per 24 hours or a maximum rate ?

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Copy and paste of the relevant statement at clause 7.3 TESTING OF LIQUID-RETAINING STRUCTURES;

(....structure shall be cleaned and initially filled with the specified liquid (usually water) at a uniform rate generally not greater than 2 m in 24 h...)

My guess is , max. uniform rate for 24 hours ( 2m/24 = 0.083m per hour)..

Not to know is bad;
not to wish to know is worse.

NIGERIAN PROVERB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back