Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What do I need to go from CNG to LP

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlosch1964

Automotive
Apr 1, 2007
CR
I recently bought a 2000 Crown Victoria that runs on CNG, there is only a few places to re-fuel, so I would like to convert it to LP. ¿ Do I have to change all the equipment ? or some CNG parts can be used with LP as well ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Carlosch1964,

Converting your CNG powered Crown Vic to LPG would be a major undertaking. You would need to replace virtually everything in the fuel system from the fuel tanks up to the engine bay. You would also need to re-engineer the ECU to operate at a much lower pressure using gaseous propane. Unless you only wanted to drive it in hot climates, a vaporizer be have to be added to the system. Unless you are in the business of OEM calibration, you would never be able to re-calibrate your new setup to meet emissions requirements, which may or may not be an issue in the state in which you reside. You would never be able to save enough money to offset the huge costs involved.

As for refueling, CNG has the advantage that it's available in most homes. You would need to purchase a home refueler, which is essentially a small compressor system, to pump up the 3psi CNG coming into your home, up to the 3600+ psi required to fill your car's tank. That would be infintely cheaper, and a more practical solution to your lack of re-fueling stations. Here is a link to a practical example of one.

-Tony Staples

You can occasionally find Fuelmakers on ebay for $3K - $4K used. They run about $8K new. I don't recommend the Phill, it only does .5 GGE/hr. The FMQ 2-36 does 1 gal/hr and is much more prevalent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back