Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What does E-80 loading refer to? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wpr

Civil/Environmental
Nov 14, 2002
US
Or any of the similar designations? Is there a readily accessible reference on the web? thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Cooper E-80 is a loading due to railroad locomotives and is the standard for designing railway bridges. You'll need to get the design manual from AREA (American Railway Engineer's Association?) for exact information.

E-80 surcharge has various axle loadings and spacings, but the heaviest is an 80 kip axle load at 5 feet on center. Spread over the rail ties, the vertical surcharge is 1882 psf or 80,000# / (5'LF x 8.5' tie width).

I was taught that E-80 stood for Equivalent 80kN axial load, the maximum allowed load per axle for trucks. As trucks cause the damage to pavements, E-80s are used to design road pavements, at least in South Africa. A car counts a 0 E-80s, while a truck would be 1 (one truck) or 5 (five axles per 18-wheeler), I do not remember, with other vehicles being fractions (or multiples) of E-80s.

See this TRL pdf file for further (and more clear) details.

The Cooper E-80 surcharge I described above is specified by Conrail, Amtrak, Norfolk Southern, CSX, and others.

The 80,000# axle load acts on a 5 foot axle spacing and 8.5 feet wide ties. Therefore, the railroads are looking for an 1800 to 1882 psf, vertical, strip pressure used with the Boussinesq equation for a RIGID wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back