Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What does the "H" in "h-method" stand for? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnhors

Aerospace
Jan 21, 2004
GB
I am familiar with the term "h-method" in that it means a conventional FE analysis, and that "p-method" utilises much fewer elements but with very high order polynomials (up to degree 15?) for the shape and displacement functions, and I assume rightly or wrongly that the "P" stands for polynomial, but can someone shed any light on what the "H" stands for in "h-method" ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Good question. I had always assumed "p" referred to changing the polynomial order of the element, while "h" referred to changing the dimension of the element, where "h" is a generic length, or height, dimension.

"There are three basic approaches to FEA: the h, p and h-p methods. With the h method, the element order (p) is kept constant, but the mesh is refined infinitely by making the element size (h) smaller. With the p method, the element size (h) is kept constant and the element order (p) is increased. With the h-p method, the h is made smaller as the p is increased to create higher order h elements."

From a quick google search, found on the Algor website.

JStephen I think the OP probably knows this, as this is easy to find and hence is common knowledge. The question being asked by johnhors is what does the "h" stand for - not so easy to find (in fact very hard to find).

------------
See faq569-1083 for details on how to make best use of Eng-Tips.com

it stands for exactly what ekline and JStephen referred to..the different method names are given based upon how one increase the order of accuracy..in the h-method the size of "h" is used..in the p-method the order of "p" is used..funny thing is another name for the p-method is the hierarchial method......

JStephen, thanks for the Algor reference, it's the only description I have ever seen that directly links the "h" to element size !

BTW, here a FAQ on P-Elements (faq828-810).

Best regards,

Matthew Ian Loew

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

P method takes the equation to the igher polynomial and h-method tries to refine the mesh and makes it smaller.
both of the things have its own advantages and disadvantages. keeping the mesh size smaller , can increase your time for calculation and ultimately cost u money .
so always tries to keep u r mesh size such that u get reliable results .

regards
Amanpreet

h- size of element? is ambigious for quads or tets or iso curved elements?
Do u know how to compute "h" for quads and solids esp tets and curved solids??
can any body tell on this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back