Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

What does this function do? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tugni925

Mechanical
Sep 14, 2020
NO
It has you guess a value for "H", then on the second line we see the "H" is part of an equation "L", and I am guessing this "L" was previously defined? Then "find(H)", finds a new value erasing the guess of 1 kN?

260135746_354615313104321_469130651893634149_n_s6qwuk.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That's basically it. The bolded equal sign is the constraint, i.e., find an "H" such that the RHS expression is equal to "L" which is presumably defined above, along with q and a.

The assignment operation H:=find(H) assigns the found value that satisfies the constraint back into H for use below, but is not required otherwise, i.e., you could stop at "find(H) =" if you only what do see what the value is, and one could always copy the found value back into the guess value. The reason for forcing a guess value is that one might be looking at a constraint equation with multiple solutions, and the user might desire finding only one particular solution.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Thanks IRS... do you know what the function/equation does, and what the variables are?

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

F is a function whose roots at H1 and H2 are to be found. Beyond that, the outer root call seems a bit unnecessary, since the two roots are linearly combined with delta; one would think that just requires some algebraic manipulation. The inner root functions seem to have more parentheses than necessary as well.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Thanks...

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back