Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

what does trail.txt do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankietankie

Industrial
Aug 5, 2004
US
I have certain files on my "my docs" folder thanks to pro E "trail.txt" files that are "_out.log" types
".nf" extensions and "trail.txt.20" on my computer, Can i get rid of them? or should I put them somewhere, can someone please explain what they do?

Thanks

Bill

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

When we start Intralink, we delete the following files from the startup bat file:
del .proi.log.*
del trailfiles\trail.txt*
del *.bom.*
del *.crc
del *.ger
del *.inf.*
del *.log
del *.lst
del *.memb
del *.m_p
del *.ptd
del *.rel
del *.tst

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

You can set a config.pro option called "trail_dir" as the destination for your trail files. As Ben mentioned, it's a good idea to have some sort of cleanup command for this folder.

A trail file is a "script" of your Pro/E session. In the event of a catastrophic crash, it is sometimes possible to recover a model using a trail file. This is usually a last resort around here in extremely desperate situations (we try to save often so we dont have to do this).

Trail files can sometimes be very large, as it starts a new one for every session. Sometimes we leave a Pro/E session open for days on end, and the trail files that it generates are 10-20 MB!

-Mark

The files I mentioned won't be in your workspace, they will be in your "Start In" directory (in Windows). No need to even back them up as they are basically scratch/message files from your last session of Pro/E. Don't delete them while Pro/E is open, which is why I put the commands in the Intralink startup .bat file.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back